I have been studying acting and performing since 1973 (gack, can it really be that long?). Since then, I have gone to college and lived the actor-y life of a 20 something in NYC (cocktail waitress, temp, and lots of macaroni and cheese), travelled, worked with individuals with developmental disabilities, married, renovated my house (talk about drama), raised 2 children, learned to walk more than one dog at a time, perfected my pancakes, braved Disney World, and won an Audie Award.
In the past few years, I have become a Shakespeare geek. I take class with Red Bull and Shakespeare and Company whenever I can. Most recently I had the pleasure of working on clowning in Shakespeare with Zach Fine and Andy Grotelueschen from Fiasco Theater.
In 2010, I was lucky enough to join The Strange Bedfellows, a company of actors who perform Shakespeare in all of his bawdy, violent, funny, and tragic glory. The Bedfellows strive to make their audiences forget about that horrible experience they had in high school English class reading Willie. Instead of treating Shakespeare as some delicate, acquired taste, the Bedfellows romp, clown, fight with passion, and work to communicate the human-ness in all of Shakespeare's characters. Roles with the Bedfellows include:
- Antipholus of Syracuse in The Comedy of Errors
- Goneril in King Lear
- Juno in The Tempest
- Isabella in Measure for Measure
- Olivia in Twelfth Night
- Mopsa in Winter's Tale
- Titania in A Midsummer Night's Dream
- Hero in Much Ado About Nothing
- Player in The Complete Works of Shakespeare, Abridged (not Shakespeare)
In addition to acting, I perform audiobook narration and provide audio description services, as a writer, a describer, and a narrator. Audio description is a translation of visual images into auditory images inserted into pauses in the dialogue of a movie, play, show, opera etc. This concise and evocative additional "soundtrack" helps people with low or no vision to more fully access media and culture.
My description work includes:
- Perfectly Normal for Me - wrote audio description and voiced subtitles
- Dealt - script consultant
- Sanctuary - wrote description for full length feature (NY Premier March 2017)
- Consultant to IDC Digital - oversee scripts, write, edit, QC, voice subtitles, voice description, direct, cast.
- Sense the Wind - wrote, voiced, and edited description for full length documentary
- Hunter College, Program for Teachers of Students with Visual Impairments - wrote, voiced, and edited description for over 120 videos used for teacher training
- Benefit Media, Law and Order Special Victims Unit - wrote description scripts for more than 10 episodes
- Described and Captioned Media Program - wrote, voiced, and edited description for educational media
- ReelAbilities Film Festival - write, voice, and narrate subtitles for movies written about people with disabilities
- Krutch - wrote, voiced, and edited description for this short, erotic film
- No Barriers USA - wrote, voiced, and edited description for a promotional video
I live in Nyack, NY about 30 minutes outside of New York City, with 2 big and ill-behaved dogs, a teenager (and sometimes a college student), and my husband. I still bristle when people knowingly say "Oh, you live upstate". For the record I can be in midtown in less time than it takes another person to get from Williamsburg to Grand Central. I am a suburban mom Supergirl in my Toyota and the West Side Highway is my cape!
A book for authors interested in creating audiobooks and for actors who would like to become narrators